Why I love Oregano oil!
There seems to be an endless number of choices when buying essential oils, and for every oil, there are at least a dozen uses. This is one of the reasons why I love essential oils. They offer numerous beneficial benefits to your health as well as your home. Also, many of the items found in a standard first aid kit can easily be substituted with natural products like essential oils. I’m not a big fan of synthetic pills and unnatural products, I’m a big believer that we can heal just about anything with a natural approach and that nature has given us the tools to do so.
So why Oregano oil?
Oregano oil has antibacterial, antiviral, and anti fungal properties. I’m taking a few drops of Oregano oil every day. I highly recommend adding oregano oil to your natural healing routines, because of the extensive variety of uses.
Oregano oil is high in phenols such as Thymol and Carvacrol, which both are natural phytochemical compunds with beneficial antioxidants effects. The effects from these two phenols are:
- Natural fungicide with antiseptic properties
- Helps boost your immune system
- Works as shield against toxins
- Helps prevent tissue damage and encourages healing
- Against various bacterial infections, such as candida albicans, staphylococcus, E.coli, campylobacter, salmonella, klebsiella, the aspergillus mold, giardia, pseudomonas and listeria.
What are other uses for Oregano oil?
Oregano oil shows as the best alternative to antibiotics. Just as antibiotics, oregano has the same properties to change the intestinal microflora, reducing bacteria profileration. This is because oregano contains phenolic compounds carvacrol, which has an antimicrobial activity. Also, oregano oil increases the turnover (renewal) of the lining of the intestine, which helps to establish a more healthy population of intestinal cells.
The natural and antiseptic and antibacterial properties of Oregano oil make it handy for spot treatment. In the diluted version, Oregano has been great to stop a pimple from growing and to keep the skin pimple free. It has to be diluted though with a carrier oil like coconut- or jojoba oil in a 1:3 ratio to not burn the skin! One drop of Oregano oil is enough to prevent a pimple from increasing in size.
Fights infection and protect against harmful organisms.
There's alot of evidence to show that oregano oil is powerful against harmful organisms that lead to infections. One reason is the phenol Carvacrol, which has been shown to help break through the outer cell membrane that helps prevent bacteria from attacking your immune system. Oregano oil has been shown to prevent food borne illnesses caused by pathogens like, staphylococcus, E.coli, salmonella. If you have taken risky actions like not drinking clean water or eating under cooked meat (go vegan) there are studies that shows that taking Oregano oil daily shows a complete disappearance of harmful organisms in the body. Adding Oregano oil to food is a great idea. I take it as a supplement, few drops in water daily. You can also add 3-5 drops of the oil in capsules and swallow, that way you wont feel the "burn". Also, I know people adding 1-2 drops under the tongue.
- Foot or nail fungus
- Urinary tract infections (UTIs) Add 3-5 drops of oil in a capsule, take it 3 times daily until the pain is gone. It helped me :)
- Kill norovirus, which causes gastroenteritis
- Protect you from insects and relieve bug bites and rashes, including poison ivy rash. I think this is why bugs don’t eat me, Instead they go after my fiance! Lol!!! apply a diluted mixture on your skin before heading out.
- Helps heal cold sores
- Ease sore throat and toothache- add a few drops to a glass of water.
- Anti-plaque effect of a thymol based mouthwash
- Combats the common colds. Add 3-6 drops in an empty capsule and take 2-3 times daily before meals for one week.
- Cleaning product for your home. Combine four drops of oregano oil with 10 drops of lemon oil and a 1/4 cup of white vinegar, and then add to a bucket of water.
How to look for a good Oregano oil
Be careful when buying oregano oil because some manufacturers sell Oregano oil with carrier oil and “fake” Oregano oil like, thyme, Spanish oregano, or cultivated oregano, which do not provide any health benefits.
Look for one that is organic, in liquid form, Oregano vulgare, no carrier oil and has at least 80% carvacrol content. Carvacrol is the main ingredient in oregano oil.
Oregano is not known to be toxic if you are not allergic, however it might burn your skin. If use topically it has to be diluted with a carrier oil! I would not suggest to take the oil internally without a professional advice.
“Results may vary. Information and statements made are for education purposes and are not intended to replace the advice of your doctor. Global Healing Center does not dispense medical advice, prescribe, or diagnose illness. The views and nutritional advice expressed by Global Healing Center are not intended to be a substitute for conventional medical service. If you have a severe medical condition or health concern, see your physician”
1. Alternatives to antibiotics in poultry production: responses, practical experience and recommendations PETER R. FERKET Department of Poultry Science, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
3. Antonia Nostro et al. Effects of oregano, carvacrol and thymol on Staphylococcus aureus and Staphylococcus epidermidis biofilms. Journal of Medical Microbiology (2007), 56, 519–523
5. Graça, M.1 ; Caçador H 1 ; Faleiro M. 1 ; Galego L.2 ; Almeida V.2,3; Costa M.4. Antibacterial and antioxidant activities of essential oils isolated from Origanum spp and Calamintha baetica. Faculdade de Engenharia e dos Recursos Naturais da Universidade do Algarve; Campus de Gambelas; 8005-139 Faro - Portugal
6. 1. Marina Soković 1,2, Jasmina Glamočlija 2, Petar D. Marin 3, Dejan Brkić 4 and Leo J. L. D. van Griensven. Antibacterial Effects of the Essential Oils of Commonly Consumed Medicinal Herbs Using an In Vitro Mode. Molecules 2010, 15(11), 7532-7546; doi:10.3390/molecules15117532.