Benefits of Neroli
-Acne, wrinkles and scars, headaches, stress, high blood pressure, high cholesterol
Neroli- the amazing essential oil
There seems to be an endless number of choices when buying essential oils, and for every oil, there are at least a dozen uses. This is one of the reasons why I love essential oils. They offer numerous beneficial benefits to your health as well as your home. Also, many of the items found in a standard first aid kit can easily be substituted with natural products like essential oils. I’m not a big fan of synthetic pills and unnatural products, I’m a big believer that we can heal just about anything with a natural approach and that nature has given us the tools to do so.
What is Neroli?
Neroli comes from the flower from the Orange tree. This bitter Orange tree (citrus aurantium) actually produces 3 different oils. You have the bitter orange oils from the Orange peel, the oils from the leaves, which produces petitgrain essential oil and the flowers from this tree which produces the Neroli oil. The flowers are hand-picked as they are very sensitive. They then go through a steam-distilled process to produces Neroli oil. This oil requires 1000 pounds (453 kg) of hand-picked flowers to produce 1 pound ( ½ kg ) Neroli essential oil. Also, one tree produces around 60 pounds of flowers, which makes it one of the most expensive essential oils out there. (1, 2)
Some of the major components in Neroli essential oils are: linalool, linalyl acetate, nerolidol, E-farnesol, α-terpineol, limonene.
The fragrance from this oils is just amazing, deep aroma of citrus and flowers. We love this oil.
What is Neroli good for?
A long time ago, during ancient times, Neroli oil was used to combat nervousness, plaque and fever. Today we still use it for those ailment and also skin problems. Neroli oil possesses biological active elements which have the ability to reduce inflammation. Also, the oils have antimicrobial and antioxidant powers. (1,2,3)
Neroli is one of my favorite essential oils due to its high skin healing power. As I have mentioned in earlier articles, I have been dealing with adult cysts acne for years. It’s finally better, however, it has left my skin with a few scars. Neroli helps to regenerate new skin cells. The oils are great for acne scars, wrinkles and stretch marks. It is also useful for bacterial skin disorders as the oils has antimicrobial abilities. Wet a cotton ball with water and then add Neroli oil. Dab on the problem areas of the skin. Or mix a few drops of the oil in your favorite skin moisturizer (toxic free) or coconut oil (1,2)
Other uses (1, 2, 3, 4)
· Apply few drops in a compress to reduce tension headache.
· Good for PMS pain, add few drops in your bath water.
· Great ingredient in your DIY deodorant to eliminate bad odors
· Can be used as a perfume.
· Spray as an air freshener, or diffuse the oil in the air to eliminate bad odors. Also, kills germs and toxins in the air
· Neroli may be great for your mood as it has an uplifting effect. Neroli oil can be used for aroma therapy or topically to ease tension, anxiety and stress. Use a few drops in your bath.
· Use Neroli oil during labor to ease stress and fear. Rub Neroli oil with a carrier oil on your lower back area and diffuse the Neroli oil in the air.
· May lower your blood pressure by diffusing a few drops in the air or sniffing direct from the bottle. Also may lower your cortisol levels according to several studies.
· Neroli is great to use if you get a cut. Neroli can be used as temporary tetanus remedy before you go to the doctor. Dab the wound with carrier oil and few drops of Neroli. This will help to prevent infections before a Doctor’s appointment
Where to buy?
As many oils out there are diluted with carrier oils you have to look for a 100% pure undiluted oil.
Neroli is not known to be toxic in any ways. However, I would not suggest to take the oil internally without a professional advice. Don't use it undiluted in your eyes or other mucus membranes, and out of reach of children.
“Results may vary. Information and statements made are for education purposes and are not intended to replace the advice of your doctor. Global Healing Center does not dispense medical advice, prescribe, or diagnose illness. The views and nutritional advice expressed by Global Healing Center are not intended to be a substitute for conventional medical service. If you have a severe medical condition or health concern, see your physician”
4. Kim IH, Kim C, Seong K, Hur MH, Lim HM, Lee MS. Essential oil inhalation on blood pressure and salivary cortisol levels in prehypertensive and hypertensive subjects. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. Epub 2012 Nov 19.